Monday, November 24, 2014

My Not-So-Secret Hair Secrets

About a month ago, I chopped over six inches off my locks. This is an act that, before becoming a mom or beginning a full-time job, I would have mulled and talked and agonized over. After all, I loved my long hair. I loved that I had multiple "looks" to play with – straightened, curled, fancy knots, ponytail, bun, braid – and tried them over and over for years. Yet, one day in October, I decided that it was time for a change. I didn't bring a picture into the salon, just an idea of a shoulder-length 'do that would work for me. I have loved the results!






Several friends have asked how I get my long, loose curls and I am happy to share my not-so-secret tips! After I got my cut, I read one of my favorite beauty blogs, then ran right out and purchased a few things to achieve the look:

1.  Hot Tools curling iron - This tool is worth all the money in the world. With a 24K gold- plated barrel and a temperature setting up to 430 degrees, my curls are long lasted and glossy. I purchased the 1 1/4 inch version for about $40 and it has been the best curling product I have ever owned. I set my temp to 390, divide my hair into three sections, and curl in 1 inch sections, then separate all the curls with my fingers. No brush needed!

 2. Kenra 25 hairspray - This stuff is the absolute best holding product ever! For a girl who's curls tend to fall before I ever leave the house, my style will stay all day with this spray. Kenra 25 is wind resistant up to 25 mph but doesn't give a helmet head as some laquered hairsprays tend to do. And it smells great. Do yourself a favor and buy or order the big bottle. You'll be glad you did!

If I had more money to invest, I would purchase a good ceramic hair dryer. I'd love to go back to my Pureology shampoo and conditioner someday too (the mint conditioner is the perfect thing to awaken the senses early in the morning). But while I'm busy pinching my pennies, I'll keep restocking my Kenra 25 and using my Hot Tools curling iron faithfully.

Will I ever go back to my long locks? Maybe. But right now, I'm enjoying my mid-length look.

No comments:

Post a Comment