Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Long Good-Bye

With our last full weekend in our house upon us, we are in a strange dichotomy of being emotional about saying good-bye and entirely practical about all that needs to be done before we walk away.  After a large moving sale this Saturday, we'll pack more boxes, make lists, call utility companies, and change our address for all of our mailings.  Some sweet friends are even joining me next week for a kitchen packing party.  I'll be supplying vino and sweets in exchange for their hard work.  Wink.

But today I gave myself permission to be sentimental as my kids played on their swingset for the last time.  Our fantastic neighbors will be inheriting it and will begin the process of taking it apart and moving it tomorrow.  So this afternoon Henry and Harper swang, and slid, and climbed for the final time.  Harper served her last "dinner" out of her restaurant, The Kissy Fishy, and Henry ordered his last milkshake (a pine nettle, leaf, and red clay concoction).  They have played hard and imagined well there. 

Selling a beloved home is a long good-bye.  I can't be weepy throughout the whole process.  But I am allowing myself moments to say farewell to small things knowing that the true treasures are the people who will be coming on the journey with me.





























Over the years. . .








No comments:

Post a Comment