Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Three Parts of Decor

We are almost three weeks into our new house in Charlottesville, and between working a full-time job, taking my children to pre-school, camps, and babysitters, and coordinating with my husband's crazy travel schedule, I have been finding (a few scarce) moments of joy decorating our new space.  I've been told I have inherited my love of decor from my grandmothers.  My mother says that my Grandma Winnie was always moving furniture around the house.  She grew up during the Depression and there wasn't much left over with nine mouths to feed, so Mom would often see her mother scooting things around to freshen up a room that she couldn't otherwise afford to change.  Grandma Winnie, however, did stand her ground when it came to buying new vs. old pieces.  Her philosophy was that she spent most of her life forced to buy used things, so if given a choice, she'd purchase all new.  Much of today's refurbished design trends that I love so much would appall my German grandmother.

Grandma Sanna also loved to decorate.  I am certain that my love of color has been passed down from her.  Her design sense was eclectic, drawing from many influences.  Though an Iowa native, she was inspired by the southwest, and much of the artwork in her home reflected that.  Her space was always polished but never stuffy.  There were too many grandchildren running around, after all, to make it anything but completely liveable.

So these last few weeks, as I sit down at night to online shop and occasionally make my way to a home store, I am reminded to go slow and enjoy the process of filling my home with meaningful things that bring life and beauty into our space.  And I tell myself that although I may be inspired by a beautiful collection, I am capable of looking around to see if I can re-create the look I love a bit more economically.

Such was the case when I wound up in the Pottery Barn bath department a few weeks ago.  I completely fell in love with these apothecary jars for our master bathroom:
But at a price tag of $160 for the jars alone, I knew I could do better.  So, off to Marshalls and Home Goods I went, and by the time I was done, I had this:
Jars- 31.99 for 3
Bath salts- 9.99 for 32 oz.
Sponges- $2 a piece
Cotton Balls- $1.89 for 200
__________________
$51.89 total

In my mind, decorating is 1/3 inspiration, 1/3 boldness, and 1/3 bargain hunting.  And Grandma Winnie would tell you to learn how to arrange your furniture properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment