Thursday, July 10, 2014

Barefoot in Honduras

Never has a Kentucky native been so proud of the stigma that all Bluegrass girls walk around without shoes.  Yes folks, I left Los Bordos barefoot on the final day of our visit.  I did it for Suyapa, a beautiful girl who needed some sturdy tennis shoes.  Her broken down sandals were filthy and her feet needed care.  So, as I returned to the van to say good-bye for the last time to these resilient, amazing residents of Los Bordos, I slipped off my shoes and socks and handed them to my friend Meg to pass to Suyapa.  And I cried.  And I told Meg that I think she's going to make it.  I think she's going to stay in school.  I think she's going to resist the culture of drugs and prostitution.  I think she's going to fall in love someday and get married.  I think she's going to get out of Los Bordos.  I think she's going to have a full life.

Giving away my shoes that day was a joy, but it wasn't a new concept.  Two other team members, Christa and Meg, also walked away from their journey to Honduras, their suitcases a little lighter.  There are tangible things that we can all do to help.  Think about some small things you can do:
  • Save old shoes and socks, particularly kids sizes.  
  • Don't toss the nail polish colors you don't like anymore.  The kids of Los Bordos love nothing more than a good manicure:).  
  • Buy inexpensive school supplies on tax free weekend.  
  • Have your kids make a slew of Rainbow Loom bracelets.  
  • Collect small lotions and soaps from hotel visits.  
  • Keep sticker sheets that charitable organizations send in the mail.
  • Save your samples from the dentist.
Contact Sparrow Missions to find out how to send these items down with a short-term mission team (consider a donation to help with baggage expenses) or just save 'em all up and get on board for a trip to Honduras in the coming year.  You might give away your shoes.  You are sure to give away your heart.










No comments:

Post a Comment