Monday, April 11, 2011

Lovin' the Local

I love farmers markets in the summer. When we lived in Washington state, we became regulars of the Tacoma Farmers Market. Each week, there was music and crafts, homemade baked goods and of course, fresh produce. I discovered my deep love of Rainier cherries at that market and will have to go back at some point in my lifetime just to buy a few more pounds of those heavenly things.

Now in Virginia, these fresh markets still abound but this year my family is trying something new. Thanks to great advice from a savvy friend, we have bought in to a harvest share program at Retreat Farm in Rapidan, only about five minutes from our house. For $20 a week (which is less than I pay for weekly produce at the grocery store) we can select just-picked foods that are organic, in-season, and local. How great is that? From the familiar carrots, tomatoes, and raspberries to the less known broccoli raab, sorrel (huh?) and pac choi, this farm-to-go program has just what we want. Our family even decided to purchase an additional share that we will deliver and prepare weekly for the homeless shelter in our town. Everyone deserves good food.

Want to know if your city does a harvest share program? Just click here to see where participating farms are located in your area.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Molly,
    I came across your blog on facebook a couple of weeks ago. Your kids are adorable! We just had a little boy and named him Hank. I told Russ shortly after Hank was born that if we had a girl next, we should name her Harper because Hank and Harper sound cute together. Then I got back on FB and found that your twins are Henry and Harper. So cute! I think that Harper looks like Maddox and that Henry looks like his daddy. You have such cute pics posted of all your kids! I had to comment on this post because Russ and I often frequented the farmer's markets in Washington. I also fell in love with the Ranier cherries. I have tried to buy cherries in KY and they are just not the same! We have a blog: teamdavis3.blogspot.com. Glad you're doing well!

    Emily Arnold Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, you get all the credit! You're the one who told me about the cherries when we first moved to WA. Remember we went out to dinner together just before you moved back to KY? I am so so happy for you all on the arrival of Hank! You all must be such a sweet family. Take care!

    ReplyDelete