Friday, October 1, 2010

Posh Preggos

A dear friend of mine who is expecting her first baby next spring emailed me today to ask for advice on where to look for maternity clothes. I too remember wondering about this when I became pregnant with Maddox. Over and over I asked myself why women have to give up their sense of style for nine months? Surely there had to be more out there than cheap polyester and bad denim. Where were all the posh preggos?

Over the course of two pregnancies, I now feel like I have this maternity thing down pat. A few pointers for all my fellow big belly sisters out there:

1. NEVER shop out of desperation. The worst maternity purchases I ever made were done when I had "nothing to wear."
2. If it doesn't fit well in the store, it won't get any better when it comes home. Period.
3. Check the labels. Pregnant women are like little walking ovens. Polyester doesn't breathe. Why in heaven's name would you buy something that would make you even hotter than you already are?
4. If you weren't into shirts with beads and sequins as a non-preggo, don't go there just because you are expecting (even though they are in rampant supply for some unknown reason). In other words, stay true to your style!
5. Look for the bargains. You may have to join a company's email list or keep checking back, but everything goes on sale eventually. Again, patience.

Here are a few things I found today when bumming around on my favorite maternity websites:


Love this pocket tunic sold at Isabella Oliver. Wear it over jeans or with tights this fall.


This cool chain necklace top is from Heidi Klum's line at A Pea in the Pod. (P.S. It is on sale right now).



I think Gap has the best maternity jeans. You could spend a lot more on designer brands, but why dish out that kind of money on something that will only fit for a few months?



This embellished sweater is new at Old Navy. It is stylish and comes in four fall colors.



Love this top from Nordstrom. The cut is great and the gathered seams are flattering. Wear to work or out on the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment