Sunday, October 17, 2010

Birthday Cake

Every birthing story is different. Ours started with a cake. . .

After days and weeks of false starts and stops of labor, I was scheduled for an induction on Monday, October 18th. It wasn't an ideal situation in my mind, but by this point I was measuring 43 weeks pregnant and I was miserable. So Monday it was.

Last Wednesday, Graham and I had the day to ourselves. He was off work and his mom had taken Maddox to D.C. overnight. My poor mother-in-law had been staying with us for over two weeks by this point and was meeting up with my father-in-law in Washington before heading for home. While we had free time, Graham and I spent the day running errands, taking a walk, and even going out for a movie and dinner.

At about 9:30 Wednesday night I began having contractions, not too close together but consistent. This has all happened before, I thought, so I shrugged it off and began baking my husband's birthday cake, a yummy yellow cake that used tons of eggs and butter, with a dark chocolate frosting. It took a little over two hours to completely prepare, bake, and cool, and by the time I was done, it was after midnight. All along I had been timing contractions. Finally, about 12:30, I went upstairs and laid down to get some sleep. Little did I know that just a few hours later my little ones would be born. Turns out, I was baking their birthday cake all along!

Graham and I made it to the hospital around 3:30 on Thursday morning, October 14th. I was in serious pain and my contractions were only 2 minutes apart. I was fully dialated a half hour later and our Baby A, Harper Rose, arrived at 5:04 a.m., weighing 5 lb. 13 oz and measuring 19 1/4". Baby B, Landrum Henry, was just about 30 minutes later at 5:35 a.m., weighing 5 lb. 6 oz and measuring 18 1/2".

Harper and Henry have completed our family. They are true joys to have brought into this world. I can't wait to share more of them with you in the coming weeks and months! And by the way, today is Graham's birthday! He celebrated with a near sleepless night last night as Henry and Harper decided to have his party for him from 12-5 a.m.!















3 comments:

  1. Oh my word, they are gorgeous!!!! Congratulations, you guys! And what a wonderful birthday gift for Daddy. :-)

    Welcome to the world, Harper and Landrum....wishing you many blessings.

    {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious, Molly! At least you made his (their) cake. If you had waited, I doubt you would have had the time to do that :)
    I know you are in for a real adventure. Can't wait to meet this two. Praying for your energy and rest in the days to come!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pics made me all teary! So, so blessed to have these new additions to our family. And now I think you have to make that bday cake every year!

    ReplyDelete