Saturday, July 6, 2013

Thoughts on a Homecoming

 Later this afternoon, my husband will get on a plane that will travel westward across deserts, lush land, and open sea to route him safely home to a very enthusiastic brood of little humans (and this thrilled girl).  He has been gone 189 days.  We will wait for another few days of travel until we can see him early next week.  And despite the kids and I getting ready for that amazing homecoming (more about our preparations in a later blog), I am spending this weekend reflecting on the last six months with all its joys and challenges. Here are a few treasures I've gleaned in these final days of Graham's absence:

1.  I can care for my children after 6 p.m.!  I used to get so irritated at Graham for coming home late from work, getting caught up in a briefing, forgetting to call.  I do believe that I genuinely questioned whether I could be counted on to ensure my children's safety after the dinner hour.  I was so eager to hand the parenting over to him as soon as he walked through the door.  Truth is, I can make certain that Maddox, Henry, and Harper survive and yes, even thrive after 6 p.m.  Turns out, I was so happy to stop parenting in the evenings that I was missing some really funny bath time shenanigans and more than a few sweet moments at bedtime.


2.  In Graham's absence, I was able to fulfill a personal goal.  After expressing some interest in the clean eating movement, I was encouraged by a friend to do a 21 day cleanse of all things processed.  So for three weeks this spring, I didn't touch coffee (so hard!), wheat, dairy, or meat and instead adopted a whole foods, plant-based diet.  It was really tough--and amazing!  I felt empowered to go for it because it seemed like the opportune time to fulfill some goals for myself while Graham was away.  The best part was that when he came home for a 9-day visit in April, he was interested in trying parts of it as well.  Hope he likes almond milk and rice crackers!  Wink.


 3.  Single parenting is hard.  There were a lot of days when I just wanted to crawl in a corner and cry (and did a few times).  It is tough to be both Mom and Dad for three kids and the truth is, I can't do it.  My kids need a dad.  Now, that is not to say that single mamas are not doing right by their children if they have chosen to go it alone (or if the decision was made for them).  Everyone's circumstances are different and I think there are cases where one strong mama (or daddy) is a serious improvement from an extremely disfunctional mom and dad.  I'm only saying that it is really hard, and for me, required a daily time of turning my children over to Jesus and asking for some major intervention.  Sometime around May, I began reading this book and my outlook changed dramatically.  Also the friends that provided meals, notes, late-night-Pedialite-when-my-kid-was-puking visits, babysitting so I could have a moment away, driving/flying from Kentucky, South Carolina, Iowa, and Chicago to visit-- all such a blessing and a generosity I will not soon forget.  If you know a single mama, offer her your time.  It can save her life.  

We may look put together. . . .

 But this is life at home!

4.  I have started to own my issues.  Listen friends, it is super easy to blame that temper, those secret spending habits, that disrepectful tone that just leapt of my mouth, on my husband when he's around.  Truth is though, all those issues were still there 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months after he left and he had nothing to do with any of it!  Enough of the blame and the nagging already.  I've got issues.  We all do.  Even when our marriages are healthy!  Spending some time in introspection has changed my perspective on things and I am owning my Molly-isms, good and bad, and making changes for the better.





I am so not sure if this post was helpful or even an interesting read for anybody!  But it was cathertic for me to reflect and now I can GET READY FOR GRAHAM CROUCH TO BE HOME!!!  Have a great weekend, all.




3 comments:

  1. Molly, I am home a lot by myself due to philip working an hour away, 12 hour shifts and night shift. it is nowhere near the difficulty of 6 months and what you have had to go through, but this was good for me to read:) as hard as it is for me with one little one I can't imagine doing it that long with three:) so excited for you that he will be home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda. Everyone has their own reality, and we don't all share the exact same challenges, but we moms can build each other up in encouragement! Have a great Saturday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your honesty. There are days that I don't think I'll make it past noon and my husband is not away!!! I hope ya'll have a fabulous reunion. (And hopefully you can take a day to just roam around somewhere by yourself.)

    ReplyDelete