Friday, November 12, 2010

What's In a Name?

I received one of the sweetest surprises yesterday when I learned that my best friend's precious new baby has been named Molly. Laura and I have been best friends since we were in middle school. We know each other better than just about anyone! Surprisingly, we haven't lived in the same city for over a decade, yet our friendship remains strong. I am so honored to share my name with Baby Molly and can't wait to meet her soon.

My own children also have significant names. Harper Rose shares her middle name with my grandmother, Winifred Rose. Sadly, my grandma passed away a week after the twins were born, but I had written her a letter before their birth to let her know we were so proud to be using her name.

Landrum Henry's name also has great meaning. Graham's birth father was named James Landrum. Landrum goes back several generations in the Hood family. Graham's dad is named William Henry (called Bill) and his grandfather is of the same name but called Henry. We decided to combine Landrum and Henry to honor both fathers.

Miss Maddox Olivia is in a class all by herself. No one in either family shares her name, making her truly one of a kind. She has proved herself to be a pretty unique kiddo, so I'd say it's totally fitting!

I always love hearing how couples decide on names for their children. What an incredible
process and choice. Just thought I'd share another reason why Maddox, Harper, and Henry are so special to us!



My Grandma Winnie and I last summer. Harper shares her middle name with Grandma.



Graham's birth father, James Landrum Hood. Our Henry's first name (Landrum) is after Jimmy.


Graham and his dad. Our Henry is named after William Henry.



2 comments:

  1. I had no idea. Thank you for sharing that. I bet Dr. Crouch is OVER THE MOON about both babies! There is truly something special about having a child "named" for you. My name is for my great-grandmother, Carrie Harrison Barnes Hobday. All three of my boys are named for someone - Andrew "Andy" comes from Greg's uncle and Harrison is his middle name, for my Granny. Blake Marshall is for both of our grandfathers - Greg's Mom's Father was Leonard Blake. My Pappaw is Marshall. Noah Gregory is named for his Daddy.
    I always love hearing the story behind children's names!
    I know if Laura's little Molly is like you, she will be precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment CB! I didn't know you were named after your great-grandmother or that all your boys had family names. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete