Sunday, August 14, 2011

What a Peach!

My children have a new summer love. . . peaches! We did some picking last weekend at a local farm and Henry and Harper nearly knocked each other over fighting for the peach. After a few seconds of that, we decided there was enough low hanging fruit to go around, and they each got their own. Now I know that Virginia peaches are probably not the same as South Carolina or Georgia peaches, but I haven't seen any packages in the mail from my deep south girls (Laura? Gwen?), so we have to settle for what we can get! Seriously though, they are amazing and just a perfect way to end the summer. Of course, I had to go home and make a peach pie!

Two tips on peaches:

1. If you are like me, you want peeled peaches for your pie. I recently learned that boiling the entire peach for 2 minutes, then putting in a bowl of ice water, helps the skin separate from the flesh, and makes peeling a cinch!

2. Peach juice stains clothing! I mean, really stains. Especially when your children are just devouring the fruit with both hands and the juice is running down their faces! A few months ago, my mother-in-law gave me a bottle of Lestoil with her seal of approval. She was spot on (or off, depending on how you look at it). A little bit of this deep cleaner removes virtually any stain. If you can't find any in your local supermarket, you can buy a bottle here.

Peach juice all over the front equals. . .


. . .a few drops of Lestoil when we get home!



Enjoy your last few weeks of summer, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment